Watch this video for a step-by-step guide on how to properly post your video story on the Spartan Newsroom website. Follow these steps to:
- Add a video without using any special embed code
- Automatically create a featured image preview for the home page and/or section pages
- Place your video above text in your post (all videos should include at least a short summary story, see “how to write descriptions for photos and videos”)
This guide is designed for stories in which the video is the most prominent element. The video will appear above any story text or other items including in the article.
If you would like to add a video further down in an article post, please see “Adding media to a story”
- Upload your video to the video hosting service of your choice (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.)
- Create a new post.
- Give the post a headline that describes the video’s content.
- Insert some article text. This could be a standalone article or sidebar, or could be a few sentences that summarize the video content. You might even take the script you developed for your video story and turn that into a print-style story.
- Write an excerpt. This is a sentence or two preview of your story that will appear on landing pages of the website.
- Select the appropriate Categories, Series and Post Types labels for your post.
- In the lower right hand corner of the page, click the “Set Featured Media” button.
- Select “Featured video from the upper right hand corner.
- Copy the share URL of your video from your hosting service (YouTube, Vimeo, etc.) and paste it into the Video URL field in WordPress.
- The “Title,” “Caption” and “Credit” fields will be auto-filled based on information you may have included on your video hosting site. Edit or complete these fields as needed.
- Click the “Set as featured” button.
- Set your post status to the appropriate choice to submit your work for review by an editor or instructor.
- Make sure to save!