What happens when bullies become adults?

By Devyne Lloyd
Staff writer

Everyone knows someone who has been affected by bullying during grade school. Most discussion about bullying revolves around the victim. However, there is another victim in this situation: the bullies themselves. While we encourage and nurture the bullied, we often ignore the bully, which can lead to them falling through the cracks.

Many people think bullies are dim-witted, large and over-aggressive, such as Helga from Hey Arnold! and Roger from Doug. In reality, most bullies are intelligent, popular and highly charismatic. They also may show traits of anger, aggression, hyperactivity and violence, according to Education.com, a privately funded site.

Just as victims might grow up to have issues later in life, bullies can also encounter issues. According to Utterly Global, an organization dedicated to anti bullying, children who were bullies in grades six to nine are 60 percent more likely to have a criminal conviction by the age of 24. A bully is also five times more likely than a victim to have a serious criminal record in adulthood. Even bullies who grow up to work in an office instead of entering the judicial system cause problems for others. According to the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, workplace bullying causes $3 billion in lost productivity and a staggering $19 billion loss in employment every year.

Matt DeLisi, sociologist and head of the Iowa State University criminal justice program, writes in an article for the for the ISU sociology department that as bullies age, they are more likely to engage in antisocial behavior. According to DeLisi, adults who were bullies as children are 10 times more likely to lie, six times more likely to fight and almost three times as likely to engage in harassment than adults who were not bullies. “Bullies are 11 times more likely to have had conduct disorder than non-bullies. That giant fact shows you that bullies are antisocial anyway. When you get into personality disorders, you’ll see that in anti-social personalities there is almost an eight times difference,” wrote DeLisi.

The bullies themselves are victims, too, and need help just like the children they bully. “Because bullies are so aggressive, they are viewed by peers to be so difficult to deal with, so they are rejected,” writes DeLisi. Many bullies experience some type of abuse at home, and bullying others is simply a coping mechanism. Counseling can be provided as an avenue for bullies to talk about their feelings. Bullying may be a growing problem, but we can stop it by treating all victims: the bullied and the bullies.

9 Responses to What happens when bullies become adults?

1. catherine says:

I was subjected to years of torment by bullies from 11 years of age until I left school. When I started work I had no confidence or self esteem, which is why I still seemed to attract bullying from others from time to time. I was wrong to assume that bullying ends when you leave school. I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who is a bully,& if bad things happen to them in life, good! what goes around should always come around.

2. Anna says:

I agree. I do not feel anything for a bully. I was all but tortured by a certain girl who targeted me. Not only did she lie, cheat and take from me she also threatened me constantly. The failure came with the schools not doing anything about her. Never addressing it and thinking it was normal to have bullies in the mist. Because of this she never had a chance to change. Her parents would have stuck by her no matter what anyway, as their baby could do no wrong.

She ended up with a good job and nice family and lost it all because of her bullying. She also ended up in prison as an adult for assault with a deadly weapon. All because she could not get her way one day. I agree some bullies are abused at home but she wasn’t. She was spoiled and felt entitled. Then the walls came crumbling down and I can’t say I felt bad for her. It just wasn’t that big of a surprise.

So I’m glad that bullying is being addressed today as it ruins lives. Maybe we can start punishing bullies so that they learn it is a harmful action and that they cause discord. Then and only then do they need to be “understood”.

3. Hanna says:

I was bullied by this seemingly really cool and beautiful girl and her entourage of gossipers and ratty girls. I now work as a director of a company with 8 digits assets, which I own half of it, at the same time currently the most sought jewellery’ designer who makes 6 digits yearly. Not surprised I am now more successful than them, I always knew the popular bullies picked me up to justify their insecurities. I feel extremely happy to know that the popular kind girls grew up to be just house mothers with zero working experiences, and the popular bullies queen bee grew up to be an unknown music DJ who does no DJ but just playing pre-recording and twiddling with volume buttons only for 10 years with minimal gigs a year (with a face which I feel not as beautiful- eye bags, skinny, evident of drugs use). Whilst the ratty entourage somehow ended up with bad career choices and own nothing. I shamefully admit laughing-everytime I think of them struggling to make a living while I enjoy my career, life, devoted husband and my diamonds. I love the fact facebook existed because I can see how ugly and unhappy they grew up to be. I seriously do not need to gloat and show off with photos uploads just because I can not truly stop looking down at them.

4. […] Lloyd, D. (2012). What Happens When Bullies Become Adults. Retrieved from http://news.jrn.msu.edu/bullying/2012/04/01/bullies-as-adults/ […]

5. Katherine Daley says:

I finally decided, after nearly 50 years, to look up my bullies from elementary school on the internet. These were boys who were the ringleaders of a group of boys who threw rocks at me as I walked to the bus stop when I was six, who would form a ring around me and pass me from one to the other with a punch or a kick, who once pulled off my boots and forced me to walk through cactus and then walk home barefoot, who repeatedly chased me on motorcycles when I was on a horse. One is a highly successful corporate lawyer, one works for the Department of the Interior, one is an art dealer, those were the ones with a distinctive last name. The other two were brothers, and their last name was more common, so I could not find them, but I wonder, if I met them at a party, or contacted them on Linkedin, would they even know my name? Would they even remember?

6. […] school are 60% more likely to have a criminal conviction by age 24 than their counterparts, per an article printed by Michigan State University. Overall, they’re also five-times more likely to have […]

7. sue says:

Dear Devyne, i was wondering what becomes of bullies when they grow up. Evidently, many don’t. Can’t say i’m overly surprised…worldlings are going to be worldlings ;/ Thanks for posting this article.

8. Nick says:

I need help as an adult being bullied by family members it has caused mental health issues with me because of the way I am abused is there any help as police said they can’t do anything without proof that a crime has been committed. I’ve been tormented for my whole life and don’t know who to turn to or even trust with this issue I’m trying to start a new life but can’t because family are still bullying me what should I do

9. Aandelen Kopen says:

I dont think this is the same for everyone. Many bullies become friendly people and when they realise how it feels to be bullied themselves, and it happens to almost everyone, they will learn how to think.