Streamlined Meridian Township burn policies work to keep blazes under control

By Erica Marra
The Meridian Times Staff Reporter

The summer before heading off to college is typically considered to be the perfect time for recent high school graduates to create long-lasting memories with their
friends. While 2012 Okemos High School graduate Colin Jackson said that he expected to create some moments he would never forget before leaving his hometown, he never expected them to be so incendiary. “The summer I graduated, there was a rumor going around that a girl I knew accidentally set fire to a field called ‘The Shire’ that we used to have bonfires at,” Jackson said. “Apparently she didn’t put a fire out all the way and ended up burning down a good chunk of [the field].”

Jackson said his curiosity led him to revisit the alleged burn site to see if the rumors were true. “I went back this year and all of the grass is like, seriously lower and you can still see where stuff is charred, so I guess it actually happened,” Jackson said.

Smoke detectors could prevent many deadly fires

By SAODAT ASANOVA-TAYLOR
Capital News Service
LANSING – Some Michigan residents fail to recognize the importance of smoke detectors, creating a risk of serious injuries and deaths, safety experts say. Christine Jackson, who owns an apartment building in Jackson, said it has been a difficult task to keep her tenants safe. “As landlord, I am required by the city to provide operational smoke detectors, but tenants fail to maintain them. Either the batteries are taken out, or the smoke detectors are completely removed from the wall,” she said. According to Ronald Farr, the state fire marshal, communities nationwide each year witness tragic home fire deaths related to lack of smoke detectors.