Boiler overheats, scaring a family in Williamston

A boiler overheated Thursday night on the 200 block of E. Riverside Street in Williamston, alarming homeowner Patricia Murphy and her family. She said the home got “uncomfortably warm” before the boiler gauge burst. 

Murphy and her family made it out of the home safely. The home appeared to have no visible damage. 

“I started to feel the radiators,” said Murphy. “They were too hot to touch.” She looked down at the gauge on the boiler, and it had melted. That’s when Murphy knew it was time to dial 9-1-1. 

She said she yelled to her family the radiator had blown as she was on the phone with the repair company.

"A lot of pride" in Meridian's new Central Fire Station

By Katie Dudlets
The Meridian Times Staff Reporter

OKEMOS — The new Central Fire Station located at the corner of Okemos Road and Central Park Drive comes in a larger context of infrastructure redevelopment for Meridian Township. It has been fully-operational and providing emergency services since January. Fire Chief Fred Cowper believes this move from the antiquated station on Clinton Street to the new one was entirely necessary. “The [Clinton Street] fire station that we closed was built in 1957, and in 1957 there weren’t females in the fire service in our country,” said Cowper. “So it lacked separate bathrooms, showers and dormitories.