What’s better: 2- or 4-year degree? It depends

Capital News Service
LANSING – This spring, thousands of students across Michigan will collect high school diplomas with sights set on higher education. But where those students can get the best education for their needs has become a matter of debate between the governor and the universities. Gov. Rick Snyder has pushed hard for more students to consider two-year community college degrees, earning skills needed to fill a growing number of technical job openings across the state. In late February, he announced the distribution of $50 million in grants to community colleges to support technical training. “The positive business environment and job growth are major reasons for the increasing demand for skilled trades positions,” Snyder said in a press release about the grants last fall.

If bachelors degree elusive, associate degree is fallback

Capital News Service
LANSING – A new agreement between Grand Valley State University and Kalamazoo Valley Community College will make it easier for four-year students to obtain an associate degree. Reverse transfer allows students who do not complete a four-year degree to receive an associate degree for their completed credits at local institutions. “There is such high value in a student having an associate degree,” said Olin Joynton, president of Alpena Community College. “When a student transfers to a four-year university and is not able to complete that degree, reverse transfer allows them evidence of completion of a degree.”
Alpena currently has agreements with Ferris State University, Lake Superior State University and others. Many students start at community colleges and transfer to four-year universities without receiving their associate degree, according to Michael Hansen, president of the Michigan Community College Association.