If bachelors degree elusive, associate degree is fallback

Capital News Service
LANSING – A new agreement between Grand Valley State University and Kalamazoo Valley Community College will make it easier for four-year students to obtain an associate degree. Reverse transfer allows students who do not complete a four-year degree to receive an associate degree for their completed credits at local institutions. “There is such high value in a student having an associate degree,” said Olin Joynton, president of Alpena Community College. “When a student transfers to a four-year university and is not able to complete that degree, reverse transfer allows them evidence of completion of a degree.”
Alpena currently has agreements with Ferris State University, Lake Superior State University and others. Many students start at community colleges and transfer to four-year universities without receiving their associate degree, according to Michael Hansen, president of the Michigan Community College Association.