For years, we have known that the United States will become a country in which no racial or ethnic group is in the majority. The Pew Research Center reports why, when schools open, non-Hispanic white students will no longer be the majority.
Using U.S. Department of Education projections and Census data, Pew attributes the tipping point to the birth rate of Hispanic and Asian children. Birth rate was one subject covered in “100 Questions and Answers About Hispanics and Latinos.” Thoughts:
* The no-majority prediction has been out there for a long time. It makes sense that it will begin with young people and ripple as they grow up.
* How tolerant will the first no-majority generation be?
* Will pundits give this generation a name?
* Will we finally dump the term “minority?”
* For years I have felt that to see a community’s future, you should watch kids being dropped off or picked up at school.