The mission of the Women’s Center of Greater Lansing is to provide resources and services to women of all backgrounds and ages that will make them financially independent. The support groups, one-on-one counseling and workshops allow these women to move forward from their difficult past and experience a brighter future.
Cindie Alwood, co-founder and executive director of the Women’s Center of Greater Lansing, said, “It’s all about these women realizing their potential…and that will involve some sort of change.”
Many of the women come from troubled pasts. Some of these women have disabilities. Others were incarcerated or had alcohol and drug addictions. Some women faced domestic violence and mental illness. Other of the women have disabilities or have served time in jail.
“We are the repositories for women who no one else wants to serve,” Alwood said.
Workshops and Support Groups
Job Seekers Support Group
(Mondays 10-12 pm)
- This group is for women who are currently unemployed and looking for work in the Lansing Area. Women will be able to work with instructors on her resume and applying for jobs. Instructors take a structured approach to finding the right career for each women involved based on her strengths. “Work Your Image” allowed four women from this support group to get makeovers at Vivesta Salon.
- See the “Work Your Image” article
Domestic Violence Support Group
- Domestic Violence occurs in many ways including physical, emotional, verbal and financial abuse. This support group provides hope for women and a safe place to share their story and learn from others.
(Class begins when enough people are interested in involvement)
- This group is open to both men and women unlike many other groups at the Women’s Center. This is an interactive class that uses a cognitive behavioral approach to anger management. This class includes weekly assignments and homework. Anger can cause negative affects on physical and mental health, relationships and even employment.
Anxiety Support Group
(1st and 3rd Thursdays of the month from 2-3:30 pm)
- This group is for women struggling with anxiety and panic attacks. Women will learn ways to decrease anxiety and how to relax.
Fight Back: Don’t Be a Victim
(1st Tuesday of the month 6-8 pm; pre-registration is required)
- This is a self-defense workshop that shows women how to set appropriate boundaries, recognize dangers, and defend themselves using simple techniques that can hurt the attacker.
Cancer Support Group
(Five-week commitment; pre-registration required)
- This is a five weeklong support group for women and men who are living with cancer. Discussions include the emotional issues that happen surrounding cancer diagnosis and treatment.
Not So Happy Endings Support Group
(Wednesdays 5:30-7:30 pm)
- This is a support group for women who are ending relationships and are in need of support and various resources to get through this difficult time.
(Group begins when enough people are interested; Contact Women’s Center)
- This group includes a group discussion and lecture each week for women with children of all ages. The class lecture is based on the Love and Logic Model.
Sexual Assault Support Group
(Mondays 6-7:30 pm)
- This group is for women that have experienced any form of sexual assault including rape, teenage experimentation and sexual assault while drinking. This group is open to any women who believe she has been sexually assaulted.
The 16 Steps of Discovery and Empowerment / Career Support
(Thursdays 5:30-7 pm)
- This 16-step empowerment model is a recovery program based on Many Roads, One Journey: Moving Beyond the 12 Steps by Charlotte Kasl, PhD. This program is an approach to overcoming addiction.
-Danielle St. Marie