Community walks to fight hunger

Print More

Gibson family walking the CROP Hunger Walk Saturday, Oct. 9.

By Andrew Marlan
Mason Times staff writer

The community of Mason joined for the CROP Hunger Walk, a nationwide event sponsored by the World Church Service to end world hunger. Sunday, Oct. 9, residents from the area met at the Mason First United Methodist Church to register and learn more about what their community is doing to end world hunger.

“What’s so great about this particular charity is that 25 percent of the money we raise will go toward our own community, the other 75 percent is sent around the world,” said Virginia Gibson, a CROP Hunger Walk recruiter for Mason.

The walk to fight hunger began in downtown Mason at 2:30 p.m. The crowd had residents ranging from children to senior citizens.

“It is so nice to see young and old faces come out and walk to support our community and the rest of the world,” said Debby Shafer, a recruiter for Mason. “We’re giving 25 percent of our funds to the local Meals on Wheels and Capital Area Community Services.”

The Mason Area CROP Hunger Walk raised over $2,500. When added to the other 2,000 communities across the country that signed up this year, this nationwide event is going to make a powerful impact on ending hunger in the community and the world.

“People are starving around our town and all over the world,” said Haley Clark, a student at Mason High School, “I think it’s only right to do what we can to help.”

Participants could have walked the entire 5K, taken a smaller route or sat in the Methodist Church’s hall. Dogs on leashes and younger children in strollers were also allowed at the walk.

Comments are closed.